(2) The 1996 graduates of Butler High School will reunite on September 23, 2006 for a weekend of sharing memories and rediscovering old friends. Reunion committee chairs Destiny Smith and Jacqueline Kelley invite any members of the Butler class of 1996 who have not yet registered to contact Reunitus at 205-823-4141.
(3) “Activate the Valley” is the Heart of the Valley YMCA’s response to the childhood obesity epidemic. Today, obesity is associated with a series of chronic health conditions—including Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, stroke, breast cancer, and arthritis—putting the United States in the middle of a serious health crisis. Alabamians are especially at risk with our state consistently landing at the top of the list when it comes to childhood obesity rates. You are encouraged to add an extra 2000 steps (roughly one mile) or activity equivalent to your day and choose a smart way to eat 100 fewer calories each day. Join the YMCA in STEP-tember.
(4) For the first time, Old Huntsville magazine will be publishing an "Old Huntsville Photo Calendar 2007", just in time for Christmas. The black & white calendar will contain old photos of Huntsville starting with 1898 and includes Dallas & Lincoln mill pictures, old courthouse photo, street scenes from years ago. 14 large photos in all. Price is $12, plus $2.50 for shipping/handling. Reserve yours by calling (256) 534-0502. Once they are sold out, they won't be re-printed.
(5) Speaking of history, if you're interested in Alabama history, you might want to check out Alabama Heritage, an award-winning, quarterly history magazine first published during the summer of 1986. Each issue explores Alabama's history and culture with lively, colorful articles about the fascinating people, places and events that helped shape Alabama and the South.
(6) Is your business or organization looking for a way to help the community? If so, Junior Achievement has a project for you: The JA in a Day event allows volunteers to present the K-5 grade JA programs in one day during the week of October 23 – 27 from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m in eight city and county schools. Approximately 250 volunteers are needed for this event. Training will be provided. You need to reserve school preference and number of volunteers by September 8. For more info, call the local JA office at 533-4661 today.
... More Inside Info
... Tell all your friends about this newsletter so they can sign up for their own.