1. Local

Which License Plate?

By May 12, 2009

Have you noticed the new license plates being displayed on cars? I can't help but look at them. When it was time for us to renew our "tags," my husband called me and asked if I wanted "God Bless America" or "Sweet Home Alabama." I immediately said "Sweet Home Alabama"--partly because I spent 30 years in Iowa being homesick for Alabama and partly because I love the country music group, Alabama.

I assumed he got two “Sweet Home” license plates…but he didn’t. He got “God Bless America” for his car and “Sweet Home” for me. Now I’m looking around and noticing all the “God Bless America” tags…I sure hope people don’t think I’m anti-God or anti-America because I’m sporting the “Sweet Home Alabama” tag! I think I’ll get me a “God Bless America” bumper sticker, just in case I'm giving off the wrong message. Which license plate will/did you choose? Should they have made it "God Bless Alabama"? Am I over-thinking this whole thing? Your thoughts...

Comments

May 13, 2009 at 1:12 pm
(1) Tom says:

“God Bless American” is a blatant violation of The US Constitution’s Establishment clause. And as such, it should not be allowed on any auto license plate.

May 14, 2009 at 10:42 am
(2) Robbie says:

Tom – what a moron – i can have any plate I want on my vehicles – start making my payments and you can choose for me – God bless Tom!!

May 14, 2009 at 11:28 am
(3) huntsville says:

I guess I was getting Lynyrd Skynyrd’s
“Sweet Home Alabama” mixed up with the group Alabama’s “My Home Is In Alabama”…I’m a big fan of both songs–I guess I’m just a sentimental fool!

May 14, 2009 at 1:57 pm
(4) Karen says:

I think “God Bless Alabama” is a wonderful answer. To bad they didn’t ask us ! ALSO…..This country was built on a idea that God would bless us as a people/country. And…WE DO LIVE IN GOD’S COUNTRY here in Alabama. lol

May 18, 2009 at 10:49 am
(5) gg says:

I have the Spay and Neuter plate and would like to encourage you all to think about purchasing one. Our homeless animals need all the help they can get.

May 20, 2009 at 1:54 am
(6) Kevin says:

Tom – if, as you say: “God Bless America” is a blatant violation of The US Constitution’s Establishment clause. And as such, it should not be allowed on any auto license plate.
Then, wouldn’t prohibiting such a plate be a blatant violation of the US Constitution’s Free Exercise clause?
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF.
Furthermore, allowing the phrase is in no way a violation of the establishment clause which first is to prevent the congressional establishment of one religion over another. Which religion is favored here? Baptist, Catholic, 7th Day Adventist, Mormon, Jewish faith, Hindu, Islam, Hopi Indian…?
Again it isn’t a violation of the clause which secondly is to prevent the preference of one religion to irreligion since there are multiple non-religious plates from which to choose.

March 13, 2010 at 12:56 am
(7) Bamalama202 says:

Check out God Bless Alabama by Shooter Jennings (son of Waylon and Jessi). It’s on his new album Black Ribbons. His daughter is named Alabama and he did a version of this song for her. It’s a nice southern rock ballad. I want a God Bless Alabama license plate!! Great idea!