How to Get an Alabama Driver's License
We'd be lost without our car--and a valid driver's license is an absolute necessity!
Difficulty Level: average Time Required: 1 hour
- Make sure you are qualified for an Alabama driver's license.
- Take 2 forms of identification which includes an original Social Security card and 1 of the following: certified birth certificate, valid driver's license from another state, Armed Forces I.D. card, or passport.
- Go to the Madison County License Department, located at 1115-A Church Street, Huntsville.
- Take the Vision Screening test. Cost: $5 cash.
- Take the Written Test. A $5 cash fee is charged for the test.
- Prepare to take the Road Test.
- Have your photo taken.
- Pay for your license--the regular 4-year operator license is $23.50.
- To qualify for a license, you must be a resident of Alabama, at least 16 years of age, have not had your driving rights suspended or revoked in any state, do not suffer from any physical or mental impairment which would prevent ordinary control over your vehicle, have passed the driver's examination, and are not a habitual drunkard or addicted to narcotic drugs.
- Ordinary maneuvers for the Road Test may include: right and left turns, signaling (hand and electrical devices), use of marked and unmarked lanes of traffic, backing of vehicle, observance of traffic signs and signals, making a quick stop, general control of vehicle, observation, and a three-point turn.
- You may have to furnish a statement by a doctor showing your medical history and present condition as it pertains to your driving ability.
- If you don't drive but need an identification card, you can apply for a non-driver identification card from the driver license examiner. There is no examination, but you need a certified birth certificate and social security card. Cost for identification card is $23.50 for first time; $18.50 for each replacement. Card is good for 8 years.
- There is a 60-day grace period after the expiration date of your driver's license. Alabama no longer sends out renewal notices.