The Bottom Line
This is one of the most beautiful books I have ever seen. Robert Schuffert shows a real love for Northern Alabama and has discovered many hidden and lost treasures of nature that he now shares with us through his camera's eye and his detailed descriptions and maps. "Scenic North Alabama" is a treasure in itself for Alabama and not only a must for residents and visitors to Alabama, but also a great gift for anyone interested in the South and its natural treasures.
- Beautiful Photographs
- Jam-Packed with Facts & Details
- Comprehensive Maps & Illustrations
- Hidden Natural Treasures include canyons, caverns, natural bridges, covered bridges & waterfalls.
- Lists suggested scenic routes and day trips from different parts of north Alabama.
- Contains a quick reference guide with basic facts.
- 148 pages of more detailed information on state, national and private parks.
- Contains trail ratings and safety tips.
- Employs a star rating system from 1-5; with a 5 being a "must see."
- Contains color photographs, descriptions of facilities and nearby points of interest.
- Shares natural wonders the average person may have passed by many times but missed.
- Explores North Alabama with an artist's eye, a hiker's skill, and a nature lover's passion
- Shares the beauty and wonder of North Alabama to the reader.
Guide Review - Book Review: Scenic North Alabama
Huntsville author Robert Schuffert, specializing in outdoor photography, has produced perhaps the most detailed and beautifully photographed book on North Alabama and its natural wonders ever printed. "Scenic North Alabama" is a 204 page book filled with photographs, maps, information and tips on enjoying the many wonders of Alabama. "Scenic North Alabama" explores canyons, caverns, natural bridges, covered bridges and waterfalls in the northern part of Alabama. After the sudden death of his wife in 1998, Schuffert dealt with his grief by working on a project she had suggested he do long ago: "I can't believe you've never done anything with your photography," were words she'd spoken to him and he couldn't get out of his head. In 2002, he spent 16 hours a day, 7 days a week for 7 months on the project and got "Scenic North Alabama" finished. Schuffer has begun work on a similar book for north Georgia and has just completed a 12" x 18" poster map locating over 350 "Waterfalls of the Southern Appalachians" and covering the five states of Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina. "Scenic North Alabama" retails for $27.95 and is available at Books-A-Million, Shavers Book Store, Southerlands Photo, Lawren's, The Dream Maker, Wild Birds Unlimited, Wiley's Outdoor, Burritt Museum and several of the state parks: Monte Sano, Cathedral Caverns, DeSoto and Joe Wheeler or online at Schuffert Studios (link above).