The Federal-style home was completed in 1824 and the Wharton family lived there until the home was sold in 1855 to Mr. Popes grandson, LeRoy Pope Walker. As talk of recession began, Mr. Walker became a member of the Confederate cabinet of Jefferson Davis. Mr. Walker was appointed Secretary of War and ordered the firing on Fort Sumter that started the Civil War.
In 1862, the home was lost in a fire. It was rebuilt in the French Second Empire-style still maintained today. Present owners Dr. Gordon and Jennifer Cash completely renovated the home with period woodwork, mantels and light fixtures. There are heart pine floors throughout and a slate roof.
After many years as an apartment house, this gracious home provides wonderful space for family living. An attached apartment is the original servants quarters dating back to 1824.